Cookies

Notice: This website may or may not use or set cookies used by Google Ad-sense or other third party companies. If you do not wish to have cookies downloaded to your computer, please disable cookie use in your browser. Thank You.

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Urban Survival Weapons - Cross Bow versus another Survival Firearms

Reader Question: I have several handguns, most notably a .44 magnum Ruger Redhawk and a 9mm Ruger. My main SHTF gun is a Hungarian AK. I think I am pretty well covered for firearms. I am thinking on acquiring a cross bow for several reasons. It is quiet, I can use it for hunting and I can make my own arrows for it. I am interested if you or anyone else has any experience in cross bows for survival situations and if it makes sense to put a scope on it?

UrbanMan replies: I would consider the cross bow a very inadequate survival or defensive weapon. The many movies that depict a silent sentry removal using a cross bow are fantasy. I never saw them in our inventory or anyone else's. They are inaccurate at all but short ranges and the "arrow", actually called a bolt, is highly affected by the wind, not to mention any vegetation between you and the target. The effective range for a highly skilled archer would be around 20 yards in my opinion,..... you miss or need an additional bolt into your target, then re-loading time will make that second shot immaterial. And since the cross bolt head or broadhead is much bigger that a bullet and going much slower, this means a much higher chance of deflecting off of bone at anything other than a perpendicular angle to the target. I would forget about the cross bow.

You do not mention if you own a 12 gauge shotgun. Or a .22 LR rifle. I would consider these much, much more important for a Survival Firearms battery. Both are common calibers; have a much better range; and, can be more effectively used for hunting. Plus there is nothing like a 12 gauge shotgun for defensive purposes at short ranges.

If the AKM, a good and reliable weapon, is your primary survival firearm, then I would also consider acquiring a few of the new polymer AK magazines, from U.S. P.A.L.M. that I wrote about in a previous post. I have tested these magazines and they are excellent. They have a self leveling follower; are steel lined around the feed lips; and have several holes in the follower where dirt and debris can be shook out of the magazine as you cannot disassemble these magazines. This company also makes a P-Mag type magazine for M-4 (AR type .223 rifles) but I have not had a chance to test it yet.

A good crossbow cost several hundred dollars,...you should use this money for a 12 gauge shotgun or .22 LR firearm, preferable a rifle. In fact, for the $400 I saw on some Crossbow prices, you could get both.

5 comments:

  1. Urban Man raises some good points. However I would not completely count out the crossbow as far as a SHTF tool. I believe with much practice a crossbow may be a means of obtaining meat when one doesn't want to draw undue attention. The supply of ammunition is theoretically limitless since one can reuse the arrows.

    Personally I dont have a crossbow and wont be getting one anytime soon. Im on a budget and have too many other things on my preparedness list to pony up for a crossbow and train with it.

    Absolutely, a crossbow will not replace a .22 rifle, defensive shotgun or rifle. Still I believe a crossbow has place and use in our arsenal after all other firearm needs are covered.

    I love this website, keep up the good work!


    Jonathan
    Bush-AR15, Remington 870express, Moss 702, Springfield-XDM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Edit- In my last sentence I said 'after all firearm needs are covered.' I meant to say after all your survival needs are covered.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i find the crossbow interesting - as in that zombie show the walking dead they put the crossbow to good use - but i agree that you better have a pistol or rifle on you as well if that need of a fast follow up shot is needed.

    but that then also mandates the need to plan ahead "if" that first crossbow shot does not do the task - to have a proper escape plan etc if you do then start with a loud weapon such as a rifle or handgun.

    i'm inclined to go ahead and get a silencer for a .22 and have that for any needed stealth situations - $200 for the tax stamp is not too big of a price - still far less then a decent crossbow even after you add in the actual cost of the silencer and the tax stamp itself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would also consider a good slingshot. Some high end ones are only $40. They would work for hunting small game (squrial , bird, rabbit) and the steel ball bearing shots can be kept forever. Also any smooth stone can be used as ammo

    As far as the .22lr goes, I would be careful about stocking up on .22lr ammo since they are rim fired and they are not airtight. Years of storing them could get the power wet and they won't fire.

    ReplyDelete
  5. sounds more pleasant than divorce and exwife dreams....

    ReplyDelete