Cookies

Notice: This website may or may not use or set cookies used by Google Ad-sense or other third party companies. If you do not wish to have cookies downloaded to your computer, please disable cookie use in your browser. Thank You.

Saturday, September 17, 2011

SHTF While at Work - Get Home Bag

VikingRS left us a comment on the post "Survival Lessons Learned from West Coast Power Outage"....."The extra bag you talked about at the end of the article is what my friends and me call a GHB; Get Home Bag. I am in the process of getting my BoB together, but I wanted to be sure I had a GHB ready. It has some food (I always carry a metal water bottle), emergency blanket, two knives, fire starter, bug spray, rain poncho, mini first aid kit, pain killers, sunblock, radio, sharpie markers (to leave messages), cheap flashlight, 2 glow sticks, etc. And a book too. All of that fits into a small pack that I got at Walmart in the hunting section that goes around my waist and has shoulder straps. Also in the trunk of my car I keep a pair of pants, a shirt, 2 pairs of socks, my combat boots, my duster (coat) and a hat. I have these things so that in the event I am not near home I have supplies ready. Even if the car is unavailable, I have the stuff I would need to make the trek home, or at least start out if that wasn't an option. If the Wife and I take her car somewhere, I throw that stuff in her trunk. Maybe you could do an article about the usefulness and IMO, importance of a GHB.”

UrbanMan’s comments: VikingRS, good comments about Bug Out Bags and Get Home Bags. I did not have Sharpies in any of my kit. I had small waterproof notebooks and pens, but never even thought about Sharpies until your suggestion. Thanks!

In my mind, the Bug Out Bag and Get Home Bag are essentially the same thing, however the package, or bag, the items are carried in, and what items are carried could be influenced by different factors. I actually have two bags in my vehicle I take to work. I have one of those vacuum packed storage bags in my trunk with a pair of older running shoes, extra 5.11 pants and an old Khaki hunting shirt, extra socks, a ball cap, a watch cap and a pair of lightweight gloves. I also have a small Eagle Industries hydration bag I keep in the back seat which I refer to as “the Bug Out Bag I Keep In My Vehicle”. The 100 ounce hydration pack stays full and if I had to Bug Out from work I would augment water with water bottles from one of several refrigerators at work.

I also have a leatherman tool (or is it a Gerber?); a fairly cheap Spyderco folding tactical knife; butane lighter, and fire starting material; a lightweight green gortex jacket; a cut down MRE meal; a three day Main Stay Food Bar; a metal canteen cup; one small packet of bullion cubes and a couple instant coffee packets; a small first aid kit with a couple travel packets of aspirin; a “AA” flashlight and pack of extra batteries; a small red lens photon key chain type light; a small FRS radio; and some other small items.

The FRS radio is for use on scheduled voice communications contact times. I also carry a cell phone (doesn't everyone?). In fact I have two. Again, I have scheduled voice contact times in case of an emergency, and the cell phones allow me to send text and e-mails. Both are GPS enabled so if the internet is up, my survival group has a good chance of getting a geo-location fix on anyone in our group trying to make it to safety (we call it Home Plate). During a voice contact, I can send my position relative to "Home Plate",..example: "I am approximately 7 miles West by Northwest from Home Plate." This ads a measure of security to an otherwise open net.

I always carry a handgun (Glock 19 and one extra magazine) and if the threat indicators grew I would add a rifle to my vehicle as well.

Some of the factors that could influence what you carry in a Get Home Bag, in my mind, would be:

Terrain. The terrain you have to negotiate or transit to get to a safe site. If you had to transit a lot of concrete and asphalt, this would influence a different type of foot gear, than if you were traversing forested areas or other rural type terrain. If you had to cross a river and planned to a bridge, what are you doing to do if the bridge is down, or access is blocked or if it is occupied by what appeared to be a criminal group? Maybe a small inflatable floatation device and waterproof bag cover would come in handy for an expedient river crossing.

If you were traversing a great distance through an populated area, you may not want a military looking bag or personal appearance. I would suggest dull, pastel colored backpacks, hydration packs or other bags.

Weather. Unless you live or work in paradise, you probably have diverse seasonal weather conditions which would make it important to pack and re-pack your Get Home Bag so that the contents are necessary for the weather conditions you’ll face. The summer months may make it necessary to carry more water. The winter months may make it necessary to carry warmer clothing items.

Threat. What are the active and passive threats you could be facing on your movement to the identified safe area or your home. Passive threats could be radioactive fallout or contagious disease. Active threats could be roaming gangs, violent crowds, law enforcement or military activity such as patrols and checkpoints if there was movement or curfew restrictions.

Distance. The amount of distance you have to travel will certainly affect what you carry. If you have to traverse 20 miles, it may take you two days of fairly careful movement to complete. If you are one of those people who transit a great distance every day, and in my mind that would be 35-40 mile or more, then I would prepare for several days of travel in case some threat, environmental or terrain factors causes you to hole up or take a long detour from your intended route.

prepare well, Cheers, UrbanMan

3 comments:

  1. Most of my friends, prepers I know and yourself seem to carry MRE's or even Power Bars in their kits or cars. I carry ER-Bars. They're made by Vita-Lifeindustries.com. (I have all I need for a while, which is the only reason I'm sharing my secret)

    -They are the US Coast Guard standard approved ration.

    -100% of every vitamin and mineral you need, zero cholesterol or Transfat

    -The 27oz package has (9) Nine, 400 calorie meals. Enough for 3, maybe 5 days if you stretch it.

    -One 27oz package is much smaller and lighter then one MRE, with no mixing or cooking needed. (They also come in a 2-day - 4"x6"x1" size)

    -The Lemon cookie flavored bars are moisture neutral. Doesn't contain water, but won't make you feel thirsty either.

    -They are vacuum-sealed in a thick Aluminum package and have a 5-year shelf life.

    -And they are CHEAP! Less then 4 bucks each for the large size. That’s Top Ramen cheap!

    I have two bars in my Bug Out Bag, 2 in my Car-B.O.B, one in each Molle vest, and a stack in the cabinet for re-supply…

    Viva la Revolucion, Putos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Survival Skills are the techniques and the know-how that might help you to make it through hazardous conditions , dangerous locations like the desert, the mountains, the jungle and other extreme environments. As soon as practicable, try to learn the essential survival skills, for example, ways to avoid getting lost, how to construct a shelter, the best way to pack a Survival kit, how to make a fire, and how to get access to clean and safe water are the critical skills to lean for every extreme environment - whether winter survival, desert survival, forest, mountain or other environment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It bring with binoculars for hunting! It perfect

    ReplyDelete